Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Miso & Watercress Soup

It's been a long, looooooong day and I found myself so exhausted I was drifting off every time I stood or sat still for more than 10 minutes. It's been an extremely productive day but the week-long lack of sleep and non-stop slogging has defintiely taken its toll.

Coming home, I was too exhausted to do much except a very simple meal. I needed sustenance real fast but not too heavy that I will not be able to go to sleep immediately after. I had to be at the site tomorrow at 9am for the installation of our 3 monumental sculptures.

So looking around, I decided to have miso & watercress soup. I know it sounds like an odd combination but I had some leftover miso soup mix, which is too salty for my taste, languishing in my pantry for the longest time. It was time to end its misery. I also had a packet of watercress that I needed to use up or it would become mush soon. And I thought the overly salty miso would be tempered by the crisp, clear sweetness of the watercress and it would also add some "meat" to the soup without meat, if you pardon the pun.

Miso & Watercress Soup
1 packet miso soup mix
2 squares of sea kelp
1 bunch of watercress - hold the lot at the stalks in one hand & just tear off the leafy section coarsely from the stalks
Water

1. Add the miso soup packet into a pot of water and set it to boil on the stove
2. As it is boiling, add the sea kelp. The ones in the mix are pathetic little strips that would not add to the texture of the soup at all. I rather fancied the difference in texture between the crunchy and chewy watercress and the silky, limp sea kelp.
3. Boil for about 5-10 minutes
3. Add the watercress and simmer for another 5 - 10 mins till cooked
4. Season to taste if needed but that is highly unlikely

I ate the soup as is. I am always a little leery of pre-packed miso soup mixes as I have a thing about monosodium glutamate in my food. Therefore, although this soup may appear healthy, I would rate it a 7.5/10 with 1.5 points deducted because of this. Tastewise, it scores an 8/10.

And now to bed, sweet glutton, perchance to dream of MSG dreams.


P/S. That's not my photo but I can't remember where I got it from so if it is your, do let me know and I will put in the proper attribution.


Categories - In Hot Soup, VeggieMight


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home